Just like the name says, these crack potatoes are so good you’ll be addicted! It’s an easy, cheesy side dish that the whole family will love. Shredded potatoes covered in a cheesy ranch sauce topped with bacon. What could be better?
I’m a little potato obsessed. They’re so hearty and filling, and you can serve them up in a million different ways! A few of my favorite recipes that you need to try: parmesan garlic roasted potatoes, garlic butter hasselback potatoes, and of course- air fryer French fries for a quick and easy treat!
Crack Potatoes Recipe
Crack chicken is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods, so I decided to try it out in potato form! This is a tasty and effortless side dish that’s perfect for any occasion. (There’s never a wrong time for cheesy goodness!) This recipe is super simple to follow, requiring only a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of prep. Which is lucky because if your kids are anything like mine, they’re going to be asking for this all the time! It’s too cheesy and delicious to resist.
The potatoes come out crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They’re packed with flavor from a blend of seasonings and cheese, making them the perfect side dish for any hearty meal! Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just your family, crack potatoes are sure to be a hit and will quickly become a staple in your recipe collection. Need more cheesy potatoes in your life? Try these baked parmesan garlic potato wedges next!
Ingredients for Crack Potatoes
With just a few simple ingredients, you can create this delicious, cheesy side dish! Crack potatoes are absolutely delicious and your family will devour them. They’re so irresistible! All measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cream Cheese: Makes the sauce soft and creamy.
- Sour Cream: Adds moisture and tangy flavor!
- Dry Ranch Dressing Mix: Ranch dip mix makes each bite of the potato casserole extra flavorful. You can buy packaged ranch dressing powder or make your own!
- Onion Powder: For a pop of savory flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to taste!
- Cooked Bacon: I always like to use precooked bacon or real bacon bits. It makes prep so easy!
- Cheddar Cheese: For the best flavor, try grating your own cheddar!
- Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes: I used shredded hash browns, but feel free to swap these out for cubed potatoes. It’s fun to switch up the texture!
How to Make Crack Potatoes
It’s so easy! All you have to do is add all of your ingredients to a casserole dish and pop it in the oven. Crack potatoes is a simple side dish and comfort food at its finest.
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Chop Bacon: Chop the cooked bacon and save ¼ cup for the top of the potatoes.
- Cheese Mixture: In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, 2 cups shredded cheese, cooked chopped bacon, ranch seasoning, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Then mix together until combined.
- Add Potatoes: Stir in the frozen shredded hash brown potatoes and then mix well. Then spoon into the prepared pan.
- Add Cheese and Bake: Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the potatoes. Then cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil then bake for an additional 5 minutes so the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Add Garnish: Garnish with the ¼ cup reserved chopped bacon, chopped green onions, or chopped parsley if you desire.
- Enjoy: Serve warm and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
Here are a few simple ways to make your crack potatoes taste even better! This is one side dish that’s sure to frequent your dinner rotation.
- Adjust Consistency: If you want to make your crack potatoes even more flavorful and creamy, add cream of chicken soup!
- Add Heat: Want to add some spice to your dish? Throw in chopped jalapenos! It’s so tasty.
- Different Cheese: Adding different types of cheese is a fun way to switch up the flavor of your crack potatoes. Try colby or pepper jack!
Keep any leftover crack potatoes you may have! They’re great for heating up when you want a nice, cheesy snack.
- In the Refrigerator: Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave when ready to consume!
Can I Make Crack Potatoes Ahead of Time?
Yes! Before baking, cover your casserole dish with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge for a day or two. This way, you still get that cheesy, freshly-baked effect, but prep is a breeze! Unbaked crack potatoes can also be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Chop the cooked bacon and save ¼ cup for the top of the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, 2 cups shredded cheese, cooked chopped bacon, ranch powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Mix together until combined.
- Stir in the frozen shredded hash brown potatoes and mix well. Spoon into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the potatoes. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil then bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with the ¼ cup reserved chopped bacon, chopped green onions, or chopped parsley if you desire.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Calories720kcal (36%)Carbohydrates27g (9%)Protein34g (68%)Fat53g (82%)Saturated Fat25g (125%)Polyunsaturated Fat5gMonounsaturated Fat16gTrans Fat0.1gCholesterol153mg (51%)Sodium1909mg (80%)Potassium713mg (20%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A1096IU (22%)Vitamin C9mg (11%)Calcium389mg (39%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Denial of responsibility! Maryam’s Menu is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s food and drink media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – firstname.lastname@example.org. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.